Re: Seagate DockStar and power consumption

Hi,

It's great to hear that these are pretty well supported now.

In standby, with NetBSD running and a Sandisk 4GB micro cruzer usb device plugged, it uses around 11.5 W. It's ok, still I expected a bit less from this device. I've read great things about the Sheevaplugs using just 2/3 watts, so I thought this could be as good as the Sheeva. I was wrong. Anyway, it's ok. I've then decided to do some more tests, and I installed Debian on the same memory device. Same conditions, using Debian, the Dockstar requires 9 W. So 2.5 W less than NetBSD. Is there anything I am missing or is it just that Linux has a more complete power management?

What's the power consumption of the Dockstar when the CPU is utilized 100%? If Debian goes up to 11.5 watts but NetBSD doesn't change, we know what it is.

John Klos