Re: TLS support patch

http://www.lsd.ic.unicamp.br/~oliva/writeups/TLS/paper-lk2006.pdf

> > The easiest approach would be to require the kernel page to exist
> > and use that by default. If the above is faster than using the kernel
> > page, the __aeabi_read_tp could be provided as DSO loaded on demand.
> > Having the kernel page as required part of the kernel ABI would allow
> > implementing the/an alternative ARM ABI using a plain TLS_TP relocation
> > instead of branching.
>
> The kernel page method is much faster than the emulation
> (4 instructions .vs. hundreds) but it's much harder to implement.

The question was more about kernel page acess vs the register.

> Hopefully no arms need to use 0xffff0000 for device access.  This
> actually requires two pages: one for the L1 PTP for 0xfff00000 and one
> for the actual page.  Since TLS will only occupy the upper 32 bytes,
> we could just use this as a global common page.  I have no idea how to
> deal with the 26bit address space for acorn26.

Are there ARMs with SMP that don't support the register version?
acorn26 is UP only, isn't it? So it doesn't raelly require a per-cpu page,
just a fixed kernel page mapped into userland. The full pmap changes are
only needed if the first question has a positive answer.

Joerg