Re: replace a legacy proprietary RTOS (Real-Time executive) with NetBSD!

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 03:56:36PM +0100, Thirupathiah Annapureddy wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Few more additional questions:
>
> - Is it possible to create additional heaps (other than default heap)
> on the user side?

This is not really supported by malloc.  On the other hand nothing prevents
you from using a different memory allocator.

> - Is there any block based memory allocator (fixed size partitions
> management) on the user side? something similar to the pool allocator
> on the kernel side.

I'd personally recommend "vmalloc" for this purpose.  It has a reasonable
license and is, I think, available via pkgsrc.  For an embedded target you
will probably have to integrate it into your own source tree but that should
not be too hard.

Thor