Re: NetBSD on the Kurobox Pro

Rafal Boni wrote:
KIYOHARA Takashi wrote:
Hi! Donald,

From: Donald T Hayford <don%donhayford.com@localhost>
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2008 07:01:33 -0400

There is probably some functionality missing, though I'm not sure what. The system doesn't seem all that stable, and has hung up a few times doing relatively benign things such as:
"ls /dev | grep sd0".

I think that the cause of hangup is arm.  Because I hang up by both

I noticed that at least from the dmesg of Don's machine that his ORION-NAS kernel was based on 4.99.66 TNF sources, which made me think the hangups might be to port-arm/38950. There have also been a pile of pmap changes since then, some of them causing short-term problems. I found the mergeup of TNF changes from ~ 4.99.66 to 4.99.72 (where my tree is currently frozen due to lack of hacking time) in my private evbarm tree helped stability greatly for relatively little effort.

Rafal is right, though I'm not sure exactly what to do about it. After Mr. Kiyohara's last message, I tried to duplicate his set up, but didn't know exactly what version he had downloaded. Based on the date of his diff file, I fetched the 20080821 version of NetBSD, but couldn't build tools because of a problem with cross-compiling libc. Nor would 20080822 or 20080823. Fetching from 20080824, I found that the diff file wouldn't work on all files. The problem with libc was due to a file checked in on 8/20, so I went back to 8/19. But here, again, the diff patch didn't work exactly right, so I manually fetched the three files that were a problem (three dev/pci files), built everything and it all works (or at least seems to). Ahh - life with -current.

I suppose if I knew more about CVS than "cvs checkout -D xxxxxxxxxx-UTC src", this would be easier. :-)

Incidentally, dmesg now shows:
   NetBSD 4.99.72 (KUROBOX_PRO) #0: Sun Sep  7 19:03:23 EDT 2008
so I think I'll follow Rafal's advice and freeze where I am for the time being.