Re: Fwd: evbarm ldscript vs. KERNEL_BASE_PHYS != KERNEL_BASE_VIRT

On Monday 10 March 2008 20:11:27 Rafal Boni wrote:
> Oops, I guess there isn't a separate evbarm list; forwarding here.
>
> --rafal
>
> Encapsulated message
>   evbarm ldscript vs. KERNEL_BASE_PHYS != KERNEL_BASE_VIRT
>  From: Rafal Boni <rafal%pobox.com@localhost>
>  To: port-evbarm%netbsd.org@localhost
>  CC: port-hpcarm%netbsd.org@localhost
>
> If I build a kernel where KERNEL_BASE_PHYS != KERNEL_BASE_VIRT, the BSS
> ends up having it's (ELF) physaddr set to one based at KERNEL_BASE_VIRT
> instead of KERNEL_BASE_PHYS.  This seems like a bug to me and it makes
> it hard for me to correctly load such a kernel, since my loader tries
> to zero memory that's likely unmapped at the time.
>
> Diff that fixes it for me is below; I thought I'd pass this by the list
> for feedback since I'm far from an ARM gooroo.

I think this is standard linker behaviour

"   The linker will normally set the LMA equal to the VMA.  You can
change that by using the `AT' keyword.  The expression LMA that follows
the `AT' keyword specifies the load address of the section."

Nick