Subject: linux emulation
To: None <port-arm@NetBSD.org, port-cats@NetBSD.org>
From: arm <arm@samkho.com>
List: port-arm
Date: 10/26/2007 05:02:05
Hello.

Do the arm ports of NetBSD 3.1 support Linux emulation?  I'm interested in
arm in general and cats in particular.

Here's what I've gathered:

1.  The man page for COMPAT_LINUX(8) says arm supports this.

2.  http://www.netbsd.org/docs/guide/en/chap-linux.html says GENERIC kernel
enables this by default.

3.  I tried a statically linked (so I won't have to worry about shared
libraries yet) Hello World program compiled on Debian Etch, with this
result:

  Exec format error.  Wrong Architecture.

4.  objdump and readelf both successfully dissect the file.  objdump can
even disassemble the file, and correctly identifies it as elf32-littlearm.

5.  I am running this emulated under gxemul, installed with the images
mentioned in:

http://www.gavare.se/gxemul/gxemul-stable/doc/guestoses.html#netbsdcatsinsta
ll

I start the machine with:

  gxemul -XEcats -d nbsd_cats.img netbsd.aout-GENERIC.gz

Thank you in advance for any help/pointers you can provide me!

  - sam -