Subject: Re: Is pccons of any use in shark?
To: Julio M. Merino Vidal <>
From: Michael Lorenz <>
List: port-arm
Date: 07/29/2007 15:57:46

On Jul 29, 2007, at 14:19, Julio M. Merino Vidal wrote:

> Hello,
> [ CC'ing NetBSD/shark port master ]
> I've spent the whole evening tracking down a problem in the shark's
> installation (screen corruption) that turned out to be a bug in the
> pccons driver [1].  It's now fixed, but I'm wondering why INSTALL
> still uses pccons.
> GENERIC uses wscons, which works pretty well after macallan@'s
> changes.  Furthermore, and AFAIK, the install kernel does not have a
> size limit in this platform. (After all, both INSTALL and GENERIC are
> loaded with the same procedure.  And if GENERIC unconditionally uses
> wscons, it is not really a problem for INSTALL to use it too.

INSTALL must be really out of sync then - wscons worked pretty well
before I did anything, it used the vga driver in text mode.

> So:
> 1. Can I switch the INSTALL kernel to use wscons?

Can't think of a reason why not.

>    I'd tend to stick to plain vga instead of igsfb, contrary to what
>    GENERIC does.  The framebuffer is nice an all, but it's slow...

igsfb makes sense if you want a high resolution console or X - neither
applies to INSTALL.

> 2. After the above, any reason not to kill pccons and remove it from
>    the tree?

Can't think of any.

> 3. Somewhat related, can I make sysinst enable wscons support in
>    rc.conf as part of a regular install?  This can also involve adding
>    a keyboard-layout chooser in sysinst as i386 has.

Can't think of a reason not to do that - we support wscons on all shark
models after all.

have fun
Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (Darwin)