Subject: Is pccons of any use in shark?
To: None <port-arm@NetBSD.org>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: port-arm
Date: 07/29/2007 20:19:29
Hello,

[ CC'ing NetBSD/shark port master ]

I've spent the whole evening tracking down a problem in the shark's
installation (screen corruption) that turned out to be a bug in the
pccons driver [1].  It's now fixed, but I'm wondering why INSTALL
still uses pccons.

GENERIC uses wscons, which works pretty well after macallan@'s
changes.  Furthermore, and AFAIK, the install kernel does not have a
size limit in this platform. (After all, both INSTALL and GENERIC are
loaded with the same procedure.  And if GENERIC unconditionally uses
wscons, it is not really a problem for INSTALL to use it too.

So:

1. Can I switch the INSTALL kernel to use wscons?
    I'd tend to stick to plain vga instead of igsfb, contrary to what
    GENERIC does.  The framebuffer is nice an all, but it's slow...
2. After the above, any reason not to kill pccons and remove it from
    the tree?
3. Somewhat related, can I make sysinst enable wscons support in
    rc.conf as part of a regular install?  This can also involve adding
    a keyboard-layout chooser in sysinst as i386 has.

Thanks,

1: http://mail-index.netbsd.org/source-changes/2007/07/29/0041.html

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>