Subject: Re: Zaurus Port
To: None <andrew-netbsd@areilly.bpc-users.org>
From: Robert Swindells <rjs@fdy2.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm
Date: 09/29/2006 20:57:38
Andrew Reilly wrote:
>On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 00:41:57 -0400
>Allen Briggs <briggs@netbsd.org> wrote:

>> On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 09:12:46PM -0500, Jaime A Fournier wrote:
>> > Thanks I will check it out.
>> > Should this be a new port you think? Or should
>> > I just modify evbarm?
>>
>> My inclination, if it shares any hardware, would be to put it in
>> hpcarm.  "hpc" stands for "handheld pc" (or some variation on that
>> theme), and that fits the description of the Zaurus.
>>
>> Otherwise, probably a separate port.

>Speaking of which: does the hpcarm port support any of the
>currently available crop of handhelds?  I'd like to start a
>personal project to turn something like the iPAQ rx1955, which is
>cheap but has WiFi, into a remote control.  That would be a deal
>nicer if I could do it on NetBSD, but the supported platforms on
>the hpcarm page all look to be quite old.  I doubt that a
>pre-XScale StrongArm system could be had, now.  Or are XScales
>and the Samsung ARMs compatible enough?

The iPAQ rx1955 isn't even fully supported by Linux yet.

I'm currently working on adding support for the iPAQ 3900 to
hpcarm. This is only slightly newer, but the main part of the work has
been to allow multiple processor types to be referenced from
files.hpcarm and to restructure hpcboot a bit.

I was able to find several of the old models on eBay.

The earlier devices have the benefit of allowing PCMCIA and CF devices
to be used in the add-on sleeves.

To go back to the original question, another developer was working on
a SL-C3000 port.

Robert Swindells