Subject: Re: How to build gzboot?
To: Marcin Jessa <lists@yazzy.org>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@netbsd.org>
List: port-arm
Date: 09/28/2006 14:45:48
On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 08:24:08PM +0200, Marcin Jessa wrote:
> What is gzboot used for then? What's it's purpose?

It allows you to boot from a gzipped kernel image to help you
save space in flash or have a faster download if you're using
tftp.

> According to your former email you cat gzboot "inserting" it to to the image:
> $ pwd
> .../evbarm/compile/MYKERN
> $ nbmake-evbarm-el && cat /path/to/gzboot netbsd.bin.gz > /tftpboot/image
>
> What actually happens there?

The gzboot binary code and the gzipped kernel binary image are
concatenated into the image file.  The gzboot binary knows to
look for the gzipped data just after itself and decompresses
the image to where it needs to be in memory and then jumps to
that code.

> So you mean I should rather use netbsd.bin ?

Yes.  If you want to use gzboot, gzip netbsd.bin and use that.  For
testing, use netbsd.bin directly with the load -r command.

> Does the rest look OK ? The partition table of my redboot and the memory
> address I chose to use?

I don't know for sure.  Sorry.

-allen

--