Subject: Re: Building for both ARM V4 and ARM V5 systems
To: Bucky Katz <bucky@picovex.com>
From: Richard Earnshaw <Richard.Earnshaw@buzzard.freeserve.co.uk>
List: port-arm
Date: 08/07/2006 20:06:27
On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 11:07:05 PDT, Bucky Katz wrote:

> We're using a mk.conf file and I had thought the solution would be to
> put CPUFLAGS+=-march=armv4t and then overide it in the kernel makefile
> fragment.  If I'm clever and only set MAKECONF when I'm doing userland
> builds, that works, but then I try to use build.sh to make release,
> and that of course doesn't allow me to use that trick.
>
> So my question is: How do I build a v4t userland and
> build both v4t and v5t kernels out of the release target?

Just use build.sh's -V option to set MAKECONF.  Here's the line from my
meta build script:

nice ./build.sh -B rwe-`date +%Y%m%d` -D $build/install -O $build/src -R
$build/
dist -T $build/tools -U -m $1 -X $xsrc -V MAKECONF=${conf} -x -u release >
$buil
d/build.log 2>&1

obviously you'll have to fill in the various variables, but I can assure
you that it does work.  My mk.conf contains

CPUFLAGS=-mtune=xscale  -march=armv5te
AFLAGS=-mtune=xscale -march=armv5te

for one xscale board I build for, and

CPUFLAGS=-mcpu=strongarm