Subject: Re: arm board as a thin client
To: Jesse Off <joff@embeddedarm.com>
From: Raphael Langerhorst <raphael@raphael.g-system.at>
List: port-arm
Date: 08/07/2006 17:33:53
--nextPart1583300.8r2RVqGVEx

Am Freitag, 4. August 2006 18:01 schrieben Sie:
> On Fri, 4 Aug 2006, Raphael Langerhorst wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm looking into lowering the power consumption, noise and size of my
> > computer network infrastructure (that is, replace a couple of fat PCs
> > with small arm boards).
> >
> > I have one server that acts as an X11 Terminal Server and a few other P=
Cs
> > that connect to this server as X11 Terminals (XDMCP). I would like to u=
se
> > low-power, low-noise arm boards as thin clients instead. They only need
> > to be able to run an X11 server, either from an PXE boot image or an
> > on-board (CF or MMC card) installation. The main requirement is probably
> > a graphics adapter that is capable of 1024x768 with 16 or (if possible)
> > 24 bit colours. This naturally means memory requirements of more than 1
> > MB (1MB is typical for PC 104 or similar graphics adapters, AFAIK).
> >
> > http://www.embeddedarm.com
> > What about the TS-7300? Is it already supported by NetBSD?
> > The TS-7200 has no graphics adapter on-board, but has PC104 interface.
>
> I'm working on a port to the TS-7300.  Remaining is a wscons for the
> video and support for the 2nd ethernet on the FPGA.  (the 10 serial ports
> plus the 2 SD card slots are currently working)  The TS-7KV PC104 video
> card is pretty much identical to whats on the TS-7300 and could run on the
> TS-7200.

I had a look at the video card, it only supports 640x480, right? But the vi=
deo=20
on the TS-7300 "could" also do 1024x768? Is there a technical difference.

And does NetBSD support the TS-7KV on the TS-7200 board?

Does X11 need wscons? If not, would it be possible to simply start X11 on=20
startup and use this (with NetBSD).

When do you think is the TS-7300 fully usable with NetBSD?

> > The armadillo has 8 bits in 1024x768, and AFAIK the TODO file even says
> > that X11 isn't working on that board yet.
>
> The TS-7300 could do 1024x768 with a different FPGA load.  The FPGA is
> configured from the CPU each boot so its very easy to change.  The
> problem with 1024x768 16bpp is that it requires 108 megabytes/sec SDRAM
> bandwidth just for frame refresh.  Currently, the TS-7300 has a single
> 16-bit wide 8Mbyte SDRAM currently running at 75Mhz.  The max bandwidth
> from this chip is about 147 megabytes/sec minus about 10% for overhead
> (refresh, precharge, ras/cas, etc..).
>
> //Jesse Off

Is there an FPGA load available/planned/... that makes such video modes=20
possible?

What video modes are possible with the pre-installed Linux?

Thanks a lot for all your answers,
Raphael