Subject: Re: Building for both ARM V4 and ARM V5 systems
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Bucky Katz <bucky@picovex.com>
List: port-arm
Date: 08/05/2006 09:42:04
Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de> writes:

> On Sat, Aug 05, 2006 at 08:10:31AM -0700, Bucky Katz wrote:
>> As far as I could find, none of the arm ports specify -march or -mcpu
>> in kernel builds.  Did I miss where that is done?
>
> arch/shark/GENERIC has:
>
>   makeoptions     CPUFLAGS="-march=armv4 -mtune=strongarm"
>
> for example.

Doh. That's what I get for looking in mk.* fragments instead of conf files.

is setting CPUFLAGS in the conf file preferred to adding the option to
CFLAGS in the mk fragment?

Also, is "-march= -mtune=" preferred to "-mcpu=" even if the kernel is only
going to run on a specific arm cpu?

Our current approach is to set -mcpu in the mk fragment, but that's
just what I stumbled on, and we'd rather be consistent with other
ports.

Thanks for all the help.