Subject: Re: common com(4) framework
To: Jesse Off <joff@embeddedARM.com>
From: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
List: port-arm
Date: 06/15/2006 12:16:06
Jesse Off wrote:
> I've actually just been tasked with writing a NetBSD driver for some
> serial ports we implemented in the FPGAs of the Technologic Systems
> TS-7260 and TS-7300 ARM boards.  Does your changes only apply to 16550
> UARTs or serial drivers in general?   If it applys to more than just
> 16550's, I would be interested in learning more about this work.  Has
> any documentation/manpage been written?

There are no documentations.

The changes apply to 16550 and work-alikes.  If the only differences are
small (different FIFO size, or different register offsets, etc.) then it
can use it.  But for very different chips (different programming model,
such as USB <-> RS232 adapters) it isn't applicable.

I have not seen your chip, but there's a good chance that the
programming model loosely follows the 16550 interface.  Certainly, there
is probably no real reason not to implement to the same API that I can
think of, but you'll have to check for yourself.

FWIW, this driver supports many workalikes that have differences on
embedded boards, etc.

Heck, if you send me docs for your part, I can quickly tell you (and
maybe even write a quick driver for it if it works) whether this part is
likely to be usable with com(4) or not.

    -- Garrett