Subject: Re: IQ31244 SATA non-functional
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@shagadelic.org>
From: Richard Earnshaw <Richard.Earnshaw@buzzard.freeserve.co.uk>
List: port-arm
Date: 02/04/2005 01:41:19
On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 08:52:58 PST, Jason Thorpe wrote:
> On Jan 22, 2005, at 1:20 AM, Richard Earnshaw wrote:
>
> > Yep, I think I've identified the problem.  The chips are in DPA mode.
> > The
> > manual talks about moving jumpers J11-14 to their alternate position,
> > but
> > I can't find those anywhere.
> >
> > And looking at the schematics it appears that on the Rev E boards, at
> > least, the DPA config pin is hard-wired :-( :-( :-(
>
> Grr, that's lame.
>
> DPA mode isn't especially difficult to support, if you ignore the SATA
> NCQ aspects... mainly just a different register layout.  You should be
> able to download the manual for the chip from the Intel web site.  I'm
> pretty sure the Linux "Vitesse SATA" driver (which works with the
> GD31244) also has support for DPA mode.

Wheeee!

Copyright (c) 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005
    The NetBSD Foundation, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993
    The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.

NetBSD 2.99.14 (IQ31244) #19: Fri Feb  4 01:14:31 GMT 2005
        rearnsha@merlin.buzzard.freeserve.co.uk:/work/rearnsha/netbsd/build/trunk/evbarm/src/sys/arch/evbarm/compile/IQ31244
total memory = 256 MB
avail memory = 244 MB
mainbus0 (root)
cpu0 at mainbus0: i80321 600MHz rev 2 (XScale core)
cpu0: DC enabled IC enabled WB enabled LABT branch prediction enabled
cpu0: 32KB/32B 32-way Instruction cache
cpu0: 32KB/32B 32-way write-back-locking Data cache
obio0 at mainbus0
com0 at obio0 addr 0xfe800000 xint 1: ns16550a, working fifo
com0: console
iopxs0 at mainbus0: i80321 I/O Processor, acting as PCI host
iopxs0: configuring PCI bus
iopaau0 at iopxs0
iopiic0 at iopxs0: I2C controller
iic0 at iopiic0: I2C bus
iopiic1 at iopxs0: I2C controller
iic1 at iopiic1: I2C bus
iopwdog0 at iopxs0: 7 second period
pci0 at iopxs0 bus 0
pci0: i/o space, memory space enabled, rd/line, rd/mult, wr/inv ok
ppb0 at pci0 dev 1 function 0: Intel product 0x537c (PCI bridge, revision 0x03) at ? dev 1 function 0 (intrswiz
 0, intrpin 0, i/o on, mem on, no quirks): Intel product 0x537c (rev. 0x03)
pci1 at ppb0 bus 1
pci1: i/o space, memory space enabled, rd/line, wr/inv ok
artsata0 at pci1 dev 1 function 0: Intel 31244 Serial ATA Controller (SATA mass storage) at ? dev 1 function 0 (int
rswiz 0x1, intrpin 0x2, i/o on, mem on, no quirks)
artsata0: Intel 31244 Serial ATA Controller (rev. 0x00)
artsata0: interface wired in DPA mode
artsata0: using irq 29 for native-PCI interrupt
atabus0 at artsata0 channel 0
atabus1 at artsata0 channel 1
atabus2 at artsata0 channel 2
atabus3 at artsata0 channel 3
artsata1 at pci1 dev 2 function 0:
[...]
wm1: interrupting at irq 27
wm1: Ethernet address 00:80:4d:01:00:e7
makphy1 at wm1 phy 1: Marvell 88E1011 Gigabit PHY, rev. 3
makphy1: 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, 1000baseT, 1000baseT-FD
X, auto
clock: hz=100 stathz=0 profhz=0
artsata0: port 0: scnt=0x1 sn=0x1 cl=0x0 ch=0x0
artsata0: port 0: device present, speed: 1.5Gb/s
wd0 at atabus0 drive 0: <WDC WD1600JD-55HBB0>
wd0: drive supports 16-sector PIO transfers, LBA48 addressing
wd0: 149 GB, 310101 cyl, 16 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 312581808 sectors
wd0: 32-bit data port
wd0: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2, Ultra-DMA mode 6 (Ultra/133)
wd0(artsata0:0:0): using PIO mode 4
boot device: <unknown>
root on wm0
nfs_boot: trying DHCP/BOOTP

It wasn't quite as trivial as you suggested, in DPA mode the standard ATA command registers are wider than normal so you don't have to do previous/current operations for LBA48 mode.  That entailed some hacking in wdc.c to support the different sized register accesses.

Haven't started looking at DMA yet, but even in PIO mode, it's achieving around 6MB/s throughput...

Anyway, bed time :-)

R.