Subject: Re: 80Mbps routing with Micrel KS8695
To: Jesse Off <>
From: Jason Thorpe <>
List: port-arm
Date: 01/14/2005 08:04:26

On Jan 14, 2005, at 7:29 AM, Jesse Off wrote:

> I haven't heard of this "shoot-away" strategy.  How much performance is
> gained by not taking Tx interrupts?  How do you know when the Tx mbufs
> can
> be freed?  It would be interesting to see some "ttcp" or "netperf"
> benchmarks so I could compare against the ep93xx enet driver/hardware.
> Here are some of the ep93xx numbers:

You can gain a lot of performance by not using Tx interrupts, on
devices that can do it.

Basically, lazily/opportunistically GC the Tx descriptors e.g. once per
second, when you get Rx interrupts, and when you run out of descriptors
on the (*if_start)() routine.  Look at status bits in the pending

         -- Jason R. Thorpe <>

content-transfer-encoding: 7bit

Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (Darwin)