Subject: Re: more tested peripherals on the TS-7200
To: None <jongwooh@gmail.com>
From: Robert Swindells <rjs@fdy2.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm
Date: 01/11/2005 21:13:14
>> Since 1990's there were products named Xterminals.  Most of them
>> were early adaptor of embeded RISC like R3000, AM29000, i960 or
>> others.  They were 30+MHz equipped with 16~32MB, not under
>> powered, really useful.  These days X environment is known bloated
>> ugly.   The sole reason is a wide acceptance of fancy window mgr and
>> miserable web browser.   Embed products can avoid them to mimic
>> g'd old days.

>Today's desktop GUI applications use graphics accelerator's feature
>extensively. I think small graphics processors for embedded devices
>(such as mobile phones) will be available soon, although it looks like
>the prices would not be much satisfactory.

Small graphics processors have been available for several years,
MediaQ (now NVidia), ATI and Intel all make them. They are fairly
standard in PDAs.

The optimizations done to X by Keith Packard in the KDrive server
remove much of the bloat. This was targeted at StrongARM processors.

Robert Swindells