Subject: Re: Porting Guide
To: None <port-arm@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <>
List: port-arm
Date: 12/12/2004 18:04:20
On Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 04:40:31PM +0800, Jason Maestri wrote:
>   Okay, so this might be a dumb question, but here goes.  I am currently
> porting NetBSD to an embedded ARM board.  NetBSD always touts itself as being
> "the worlds most portable operating system", but I've never seen any actual
> documentation on porting it.  Am I just not looking in the right places?

For the general idea, read

For more details,, there look especially at the
Device Driver Writing Guide and the Kernel Programming FAQ.

Most NetBSD kernel interfaces written in modern times have a man
page in chapter 9. You'll probably need to read pmap(9), bus_space(9)
and bus_dma(9) when porting to a new architecture, although often
(that is, with a same-cpu port) you'll be able to use an existing
port as a guideline, and maybe able to call shared code ...