Subject: Re: Netwinder
To: None <>
From: Patrice LaFlamme <>
List: port-arm
Date: 11/15/2004 10:53:48
On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 14:02:19 +0300, Valeriy E. Ushakov <>
> Booting off disk will probably require a small ext2fs partition to put
> the kernel on, as nettorm doesn't know anything about ufs.

Yep, I had the kernel on an ext3 partition.. but then what. The kernel
can't do much by itself :)

Well, yesterday I found an old post in another newsgroup that said the
kernel only supports the serial console, so I started experimenting with
netbooting, setting up my tftp, dhcp and nfs servers.

Now I get as far as :

root device (default ne0):
dump device:
file system (default nfs):
root on ne0
nfs_boot: trying DHCP/BOOTP
nfs_boot: DHCP next-server:
nfs_boot: my_addr=
nfs_boot: my_mask=
nfs_boot: gateway=
root on

and it's been stuck there for the past 10 hours (while I was sleeping).

/exports/client/root contains the untarred contents of 1.6.2 base.tgz,
etc.tgz and comp.tgz. I've also created an etc/fstab  with the correct nfs

Not sure where to go from here, I'll continue looking into it later. I
hope the NetBSD kernel can control the netwinder fan too...

The first 90% of a project takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the
other 90% of the time.