Subject: Re: Port for EB2410ITX and ABLE boot loader
To: Yong-Jhen Hong <>
From: Chris Gilbert <>
List: port-arm
Date: 09/12/2004 04:33:33
On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 01:59:16 +0800
Yong-Jhen Hong <> wrote:

> Hello all,
> Does anyone try to run NetBSD on Simtec EB2410ITX evaluation board?
> It uses Samsung S3C2410 processor, just as currently supported SMDK2410,
> so I think this is a good start point.
> I built a SMDK2410 kernel, but with that board's specified driver removed,
> put it on a CD, then use the loader of EB2410ITX (named ABLE) to load
> and boot it.
> It does not work. The load warnings can be access via the following URL:
> And boot just fails with:
>     >boot
>     boot: booting 'netbsd-elf'
>     netbsd_boot_elf: error: cannot boot on this machine type
> I think the problem is that ABLE doesn't not load NetBSD kernel correctly,
> as the following message shows that it can't boot kernel from FFS:
> Is this situation still the same?
> I guess I need to write a 2nd stage loader to load NetBSD kernel, or a
> loader to replace
> ABLE entirely.

Talking to simtec might actually be easier.  They're quite willing to help people port to their hardware.

I suspect that the message is received because currently there isn't a NetBSD port, so they don't know what kind of boot information to provide a kernel with, so won't boot.

ABLE does work on both cats and the EB7500 boards.