Subject: Re: Updating Shark to current/2.0
To: Hal Murray <hmurray@suespammers.org>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: port-arm
Date: 06/08/2004 16:06:16
On Sun, 6 Jun 2004, Hal Murray wrote:

> [Context is hang when running find or du over a big chunk of disk.  Advice
> was new kernel.]
>
> Is there a ready-to-go pile of Shark bits for current?  If so, where?  I
> didn't find a shark slot in sup.   ...
>
> This looks like the best recipe to update from 1.6 to current.
>    http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/current/#updating
> Is that likely to work without much tinkering if I'm willing to let the
> machine do a lot of work?
>
> I think I built a kernel correctly.  It boots, and ran a lot of disk activity
> without hanging.
>
> But the network didn't work.   Will that all get better if I keep going and
> build/install a new userland.  Or will I be getting in deeper?   (Backing out
> of a new kernel is simple.  I've never tried backing out of a new userland.)
>
> What's the schedule for 2.0?    Should I just wait a while and help with the
> official pre-release testing?

 	I'd pull down a 2.0_BETA set from releng.netbsd.org

ftp://releng.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/netbsd-2-0/200405310000/shark/

 	The new kernel should just work with the 1.6 userland, including
 	network. One way to test a new userland is to extract the
 	userland into /subdir, boot the new kernel single user and then
 	run 'chroot /subdir'. You now have a new kernel & matched userland
 	with which to test :)

--
 		David/absolute          -- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --