Subject: Re: link_set_... sections and objcopy
To: Richard Earnshaw <>
From: Jason Thorpe <>
List: port-arm
Date: 04/27/2004 13:42:26

On Apr 27, 2004, at 11:28 AM, Richard Earnshaw wrote:

> Yet again I've been bitten by the objcopy bug that causes the a.out
> version of the kernel image to have the .data and .bss sections at the
> wrong vma.

Ack.  I thought I fixed that in the a.out back-end a while ago.

> Can you think of any reason (other than the fact that it make the
> script
> more complex) why we can't just work around the problem by using the
> following in link scripts for affected platforms?

Yes.  Because explicitly listing the link sets in the linker script
defeats the purpose of them.  Any arbitrary code can define additional
link sets, which would then have to be listed here in the linker

We really need to figure out how to make the a.out back-end copy them

         -- Jason R. Thorpe <>

content-transfer-encoding: 7bit

Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (Darwin)