Subject: Re: your mail
To: Chris Budd <>
From: Gavan Fantom <>
List: port-arm
Date: 01/23/2004 13:53:28
On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Chris Budd wrote:

> root on wm0
> nfs_boot: trying DHCP/BOOTP
> nfs_boot: DHCP next-server:
> nfs_boot: my_addr=
> root on cbudd:/export/client/iq80321
> warning: no /dev/console
> panic: Prefetch abort in non-USR mode (frame=0xc7b13d30 PC=0x00000008)
> Stopped in pid 12 (sh) at       cpu_Debugger+0x10:      ldmdb   r11,
> {r11, r13,
> 15}
> Realizing that the version on the CD is old (NetBSD 1.6F (IQ80321) #0: Thu
> Aug 22 17:18:41 EDT 2002), I grabbed the 1.6.1 release (NetBSD 1.6.1
> (IQ80321) #0: Mon Apr  7 22:31:19 UTC 2003) from  Now I do not
> get the panic, but I still have problems with no console.

1.6F is an (old) version of the trunk; 1.6.1 is cut from the release
branch. You probably want to be looking at a later snapshot of current

> The /dev directory is empty except for the MAKEDEV and MAKEDEV.local files;
> therefore, when the diskless NetBSD boots off my NFS server, all is well
> until I get a warning about no /dev/console; then there is nothing, but I
> know the board is running.  What do I need to do to get a NetBSD console?

init should be creating a memory filesystem on /dev and executing MAKEDEV.
Perhaps you could verify whether this is in fact happening using ddb?

Alternatively, you could use MAKEDEV to create the device files on your
NFS server.

Gillette - the best a man can forget