Subject: Re: ARM PCI init.
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
From: Stephen Borrill <netbsd@precedence.co.uk>
List: port-arm
Date: 01/22/2004 22:01:11
On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Allen Briggs wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 09:18:34AM -0800, Jason Thorpe wrote:
> > If you don't want to use swap, then simply don't configure it.  NetBSD
> > does not require swap space to operate correctly (I work with a number
> > of configurations, from large memory to small ones, where no swap is
> > configured).
>
> Depending on what you're running on the platform, it probably makes
> sense to retune some of the VM parameters, though.

Would you mind giving some examples for future reference? Say, running X,
no window manager and one or two X-clients on a 16MB machine.

My general experience is that situations at the upper limits of memory,
resource limits, nmbclusters, etc. tend to be troublesome. As an example,
the Blaster virus, which flood-pinged sequential probably non-existent
addresses, tended to be fatal for a NetBSD NAT box (mean an effective DoS
due to kernel panics).

--
Stephen