Subject: Re: ARM PCI init.
To: Snorlax <snorlax_vs_topcat@hotmail.com>
From: Ian Zagorskih <ianzag@megasignal.com>
List: port-arm
Date: 01/22/2004 21:00:01
----- Original Message -----
From: "Snorlax" <snorlax_vs_topcat@hotmail.com>
To: "port-arm NetBSD.org" <Port-ARM@NetBSD.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 22, 2004 7:53 PM

> >> So how does the diskless NetBSD client handle the virtual memory and
> >> swapfile?
> >
> >If you don't have enough physical memory, you can swap over NFS.
>
> Sorry for being dumbo here, but wouldn't that require a physical disk or
at
> least allocation of memory space on a network connected computer?

Sure it requires 1) remote computer 2) some data storage device attached to
this computer, most likely hard disk.

> I think I'll try to fit in a ram disk into memory to use as swap.
> Any minimum/ratio requirements for swap?

I don't think it is a good idea to use RAM disk as swap device :) This
willn't add you any benefits and will decrease memory access speed.

Why do you need a swap disk at all ? I do use NetBSD without any swap disks
and it works perfectly.

// wbr