Subject: Re: trying to boot on ADI coyote
To: Franck Baudin <franck.baudin@6wind.com>
From: Steve Woodford <scw@netbsd.org>
List: port-arm
Date: 12/05/2003 08:44:08
On Friday 05 December 2003 7:45 am, Franck Baudin wrote:

> Thanks for your advice : I was not compiling in big endian. But the
> problem still remains : I suppose that my coyote or my redboot
> (preinstalled redboot 1.92) is different than yours.

Mine came with RedBoot 2.0. Which is odd, since the firmware date is
earlier than yours:

	RedBoot(tm) bootstrap and debug environment [ROM]
	Non-certified release, version 2.00 - built 16:08:18, Apr  1 2003

	Platform: COYOTE (XScale)

> I have 64 MBytes of RAM on my coyote, mapped at 0x0, and you have
> 32MBytes of RAM mapped at 256MB (0x10000000) : we must have a
> different redboot (did you tweak your redboot ?), or a different
> board release (mine is "COYOTE 4"), or both ;-)

It would seem you have a later revision of board; the IDE interface is
supposedly not working on mine, though I've never tried to use it.

>  From the ADI Hardware Manual :
> "The lowest 256 Mbyte of address space is configurable, based on the
> value of a configuration register
> located in the expansion-bus controller.

This is true. However, there is *always* an alias of SDRAM starting at
0x10000000 (the ixp425 can have a maximum of 256MB SDRAM). So I suggest
changing KERNEL_BASE_PHYS to 0x00200000.

The kernel is actually much happier running out of the SDRAM alias at
0x10000000. See the comment near the end of cpu_reboot() in
{ixdp425,coyote}_machdep.c.

Cheers, Steve