Subject: Re: Getting the acorn32 port compiling again.
To: None <>
From: Mike Pumford <>
List: port-arm
Date: 10/20/2003 00:51:21

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 17:49:58 +0100
Mike Pumford <> wrote:

> this at least gets things compiling. I will post more information on
> the runtime errors once I have done some more digging.
Okay I have now dug a little deeper and there are 4 problems.

1. vidcaudio is now incompatible with something in the MI audio code.
The device attach causes a panic with the following message:

panic: audioattach: audio_set_defaults failed

I have not delved into this to deeply as I don't really need audio in my
kernel config at the moment. I will keep digging when I can though.

2. New i2c code causes IOMD sub-devices to all be matched as i2c
devices. The attached patch resolves this issue.

3. None of the acorn32 specific podulebus IDE drivers compile. My
previous patch (minus the now irrelevent config file patches) resolve
this situation.

4. New ATA code fails to detect my primary master device (the slave on
the same channel is found just fine). The following is the dmesg output
for the ATA disks on a working 1.6X kernel. the 1.6ZD kernel only
reports the presences of the second of these disks.

simide0 at podulebus0 slot 3: card/cable fault(d8)-(addr)
wd0 at simide0 channel 0 drive 0:<QUANTUM FIREBALL EX6.4A>
wd0: drive supports 16-sector PIO transfers, LBA addressing
wd0: 6149 MB, 13328 cyl, 15 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 12594960
wd0: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2, Ultra-DMA mode 2(Ultra/33)
wd1 at simide0 channel 0 drive 1: <QUANTUM FIREBALL CR4.3A>
wd1: drive supports 16-sector PIO transfers, LBA addressing
wd1: 4110 MB, 14848 cyl, 9 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 8418816
wd1: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2, Ultra-DMA mode 4(Ultra/66)

I will attempt to figure out a way of captureing the dmesg of the
failing machine with wdcdebug set so that someone can figure out what is
going wrong with the ATA device probe.