Subject: Re: merging majors.xxx files
To: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
From: Chris Gilbert <chris@dokein.co.uk>
List: port-arm
Date: 07/27/2003 17:45:40
On 27 Jul 2003 12:29:58 -0400
"Nathan J. Williams" <nathanw@wasabisystems.com> wrote:

> Chris Gilbert <chris@dokein.co.uk> writes:
>
> > Would anyone object if I merged all the major dev numbers together
> > for the arm32 derived ports?
>
> [...]
>
> > My main reason is to make maintenance easier, it also means that we
> > can have a common MAKEDEV file (actually probably port dependant
> > MAKEDEV that also . includes a common MAKEDEV.arm32
>
> Do the various ARM-derived ports really have more devices in common
> with one another than with non-ARM ports, at this point?
>
> Basically, I'd like to hear why this would make sense for the ARM
> ports but not all ports.

The arm ports were using the same majors for a long time, before the
arm32 split, I'm not sure why they diverged, although I suspect that it
happened back in the days of conf.c files.

Hmm, yes browsing the history of the files shows that conf.c from cats
was removed as it could use the shared file. I wonder why shark and
acorn32 never did.

My concern is that we avoid having people miss major files to update.
(it's happened in the past)

Chris