Subject: Re: Is it possible to build Xscale kernel on i386 platform?
To: None <port-arm@netbsd.org>
From: Valeriy E. Ushakov <uwe@ptc.spbu.ru>
List: port-arm
Date: 06/19/2003 12:10:33
On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 22:31:29 -0700, John Clark wrote:

> Awhile ago I tried to build NetBSD under FreeBSD but it failed, I
> have not tried since. So, the 'different' platform needs to be
> conditioned with, 'different NetBSD' platform.

My primary build machine is a FreeBSD box.  -current only needs a
couple of sumple workarounds to go all the way through make release.

. short path name of the netbsd src tree, lest you bump into rather
  small MAX_ARGS.  E.g. /export/netbsd/cvs/src is too long, so i just
  mount it as /nb/src - which is ok.  This is a fundamental limitation
  of the OS.

. ac_cv_header_sys_endian_h=no in the environment to force it to use
  compat sys/endian.h.  This should be fixed properly, but I'm just
  lazy.

1.6 probably lacks some of the fixes committed to -current to improve
FreeBSD support.

SY, Uwe