Subject: Re: Is it possible to build Xscale kernel on i386 platform?
To: Justin Deng <justind@synology.com>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: port-arm
Date: 06/18/2003 11:29:34
On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 04:49:19PM +0800, Justin Deng wrote:
> Is it possible to build a kernel for Xscale 80321 on i386 platform (with NetBSD or Linux)?
> How much effort will it take if we have to do so? Is there any document or URL describing about it?

I suppose this board is supported by NetBSD/evbarm?
The cross compilation is possible, and acutally quite easy. If you have a
complete NetBSD -current sourc tree, go to the top of it and run "build.sh"
there, it will tell you about it's options.

Create the cross-compiler and associated tools:

  ./build.sh -T /someplace -m evbarm tools

Build the kernel:

  ./build.sh -T /someplace kernel=GENERIC

(or some other kernel config file instead of GENERIC)

This works on NetBSD and should work on Linux too, though for obvious reasons
Linux is not tested that regularily. If it fails for you on Linux, tell us
about it.

You'll find some information about this at

  http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/cross/

Martin