Subject: 1.6.1 lack of stability on cats
To: None <port-arm@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Gilbert <chris@dokein.co.uk>
List: port-arm
Date: 02/03/2003 10:39:21
Hi,

I've just been running 1.6.1 RC1 on my cats box and am concerned about
the stability, I've had a coupld of core dumps, and even had it
disconnect me part way through an xsrc build.  This didn't happen with
1.6, I'm wondering what major changes have occured on the arm port to
cause this.  Anyone any thoughts on this?

from the xsrc build I got 3 .core dumps:
./programs/sh.core
./lib/Xaw6/cpp0.core
./exports/include/X11/Xaw/sh.core

which is far too many for me to think the system is stable, none of the
core dumps can be back traced either...

I know there was talk it might be the optimisation flags to the kernel,
cats kernels are compiled using:
COPTS="-O2 -march=armv4 -mtune=strongarm"

Is this a likely cause, and if so, should we be considering disabling
the optimisations for 1.6.1?

Does anyone else running an arm box with 1.6.1 have stability issues?

Chris