Subject: Re: Arm11 cores/Arm Archv6
To: Chris Gilbert <chris@dokein.co.uk>
From: Reinoud Zandijk <reinoud@netbsd.org>
List: port-arm
Date: 12/10/2002 01:10:15
Hiya folks,

On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 12:40:21AM +0000, Chris Gilbert wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone had seen the new Arm11 based system/board yet?
>  Arm mentions them:
> http://www.arm.com/armtech/ARM11PrimeXsys

Yeah i saw that one too ... looked promissing that they have an
experiment-board to accompany it ... i asked ARM for some details on
available ARM11 boards but its reply is in queue so to say, so maybe i can
tell you more this week.

> I suspect that it would need a rewrite of a fair chunk of low level
> handling code to make the best use of it (yes it's that different
> according to the above doc, but is backward comptible)  The pmap could
> really be reworked, as i think it's now using physical tagging in the
> cache.

Quite so! well at least it would ``relieve'' us from some legacy code but
the pmap really ought to be a lot easier/cleaner yes... hmm... but if i'd
be able to get a board? if they suply a few to NetBSD for free ;) :-D

> Overall the new arch v6 looks good, and would actually make SMP arm's a
> lot more pheasible (I think)

As far as i could see in their documentation the ARMv6 was in a way made
for SMP or at least with SMP in mind. I saw some mentioning of more
explicit support for semaphore's somewhere.. i'll see if i can dig it up
again.

> Anyone got any contacts to get ahold of one of these boards?

:-D I would like one too!! :-D

Cheers,
Reinoud