Subject: Re: l1ptwait
To: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
From: Chris Gilbert <chris@dokein.co.uk>
List: port-arm
Date: 11/19/2002 22:07:44
On Tue, 19 Nov 2002 14:13:35 +0000
Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 01:13:02PM +0000, Richard Earnshaw wrote:
> > > I seem to have a stack of processes all stuck in l1ptwait - what
> > > does this mean?
> > It means you've got too many programs trying to fork and not enough
> > memory[1] to support it.
> Thank you - I killed a few processes, and that was enough to unclog
> things..(already had top running)

you can also add a boot option to increase the number of preallocated l1
tables:
maxproc=xxx
it's a min of 16, max of 255.  Assuming you don't have PMAP_STATIC_L1S
in your kernel config.

Note that acorn32 may suffer due to having quite small amount of kernel
virtual address space.  (quite a lot goes on the podulebus area)

This is somewhere on the list of things to sort out the arm pmap.

Chris