Subject: Re: plan to merge cats and netwinder isa_machdep.c
To: None <Richard.Earnshaw@buzzard.freeserve.co.uk>
From: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
List: port-arm
Date: 10/10/2002 23:19:40
In article <200210091912.g99JCS313995@buzzard.buzzard.freeserve.co.uk>
rearnsha@buzzard.freeserve.co.uk wrote:

> > Furthermore, _isa_bus_dmamap_sync() does not handle cache coherency
> > at all, but it should do like arm/arm32/bus_dma.c.
>
> Hmm, interesting.  Then it's a surprise that I get anything even
> resembling audio out of my soundblaster ISA card at all.  Though this
> would possibly explain some of the break-up.

In general, data buffers are really large and data cache on SA is
small (16k), so it would not cause problem so often.
Buffers of descripters for bus-master devices are usually
allocated with BUS_DMAMAP_COHERENT, so cache flush is not
required so strictly (on arm, which handles BUS_DMAMAP_COHERENT).

Actually, the only problem that was caused by missing cache-flush in
my experience is fxp(4) driver, which allocates RX descriptors in mbufs.
---
Izumi Tsutsui
tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp