Subject: Re: Surface-mounted StrongARM processors
To: None <port-arm@netbsd.org>
From: Reinoud Zandijk <reinoud@netbsd.org>
List: port-arm
Date: 09/20/2002 19:03:58
On Sat, Sep 14, 2002 at 10:16:34PM -0400, Ben Myers wrote:
> I am brokering a bunch of boards from a now bankrupt communications company,
> Ennovate Networks.  The boards are mounted in a proprietary Ennovate chassis.
> I'm not sure what the hardware interface is, perhaps VME bus?  Several thousand
> of the boards have StrongArm processors surface-mounted on them.  Does anybody
> on this mailing list know of someone who would de-manufacture and re-use the
> StrongArm processors?  FWIW, the boards all have socketed Atmel AT49F040 4Mbit
> 5v flash chips on them, too.  Let me know.  Thanks much... Ben Myers

looks good... hmm... a several thousand ... StrongARM processors with the
neat flash chips connected... hmm..... i have been thinking of
manufacturing a board of my own one day but if StrongARM's are ideal for
that i dont know for it might be floats intensive...

Now my experience with building boards is more upto say 16 Mhz ... but it
might be chalenging to pass that one day. Also never used SMD's on my
boards. Do you have any idea on the pricetags for boards? i've heared they
might go upto Eur 50 when ordered in small batches.... problem is that i
dont know if i'll ever be able to really sell them.

My idea is to create a graphic board of my own.... silly idea eh? fully
tailored to 2D graphics though.... i need FP though and thus a StrongARM
might not be ideal ... an ARM10 might be better but *sigh* who has
experience with those critters ;). The FlashRAM's are interesting enough
though! hmm..... let me think about this ok?

Cheers,
Reinoud