Subject: Re: a.out binaries under NetBSD 1.6
To: None <bjh21@netbsd.org>
From: Stefan Wuerthner <stefan.wuerthner@t-online.de>
List: port-arm
Date: 09/11/2002 20:16:26
In message <Pine.SOL.4.44.0209111849290.27600-100000@draco.cus.cam.ac.uk> you wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, Stefan Wuerthner wrote:
>
> > how can I run my old a.out binaries under NetBSD 1.6/Netwinder?
> >
> > I tried to compile a new kernel with the option COMPAT_AOUT, but the compile
> > run failed with the following error:
>
> COMPAT_AOUT is an evil hack that causes a.out binaries to have a warped
> view of the filesystem.  You probably just want EXEC_AOUT (which should
> be in all netwinder kernels anyway -- what happens when you try to run
> your a.out binaries?).

a.out binaries don't find their shared libraries, e.g.

netwinder-rm# ncftp2
/usr/libexec/ld.so: ncftp2: libposix.so.0.1: No such file or directory

The NetBSD ELF FAQ recommends to configure a kernel with EXEC_ELF, EXEC_AOUT
and COMPAT_AOUT defined.

> If you really want COMPAT_AOUT, I think files.arm needs to have the
> following line added:
>
> include "compat/aout/files.aout"

Stefan

Stefan Wuerthner                                  http://wuerthner.dyndns.org