Subject: unable to finish boot process on netwinder using 1.6 RC2
To: , , <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Avtar Gill <agill8@rogers.com>
List: port-arm
Date: 09/01/2002 17:27:57
Greetings,

I have been trying to install NetBSD 1.6 RC2 (20020830 build)on a
netwinder. So far I've successfully (sort of) booted the machine
using tftp and dhcpd as per the instructions found here..
http://netbsd.org/Documentation/network/netboot/

The kernel boots up without a problem but as soon as it's done
mounting the root fs from the nfs server (and before it gives
me the option to choose a terminal type) it just stops and hangs.
Here is the complete output from the boot process..
http://members.rogers.com/agill8/netbsd/dmesg_netwinder.txt

Can someone who's had success with netbsd on a netwinder please
point out what I'm doing wrong? I've read and re-read the
netbsd diskless/netbooting docs and as far as I can tell I think
I'm going about this the right way.

Here's output from running /usr/sbin/mountd with the -d option..
http://members.rogers.com/agill8/netbsd/mountd.txt

From that I noticed that the netwinder only seems to mount
/export/client/root and not /export/client/{swap,usr,home}
I'm not sure why this is the case, this is what I have in my
/export/client/root/etc/fstab file..
nfsserver:/export/client/swap   none  swap  sw,nfsmntpt=/swap
nfsserver:/export/client/root   /     nfs   rw 0 0
nfsserver:/export/client/usr    /usr  nfs   rw 0 0
nfsserver:/export/client/home   /home nfs   rw 0 0

And this is what my /etc/exports file looks like..
/export/client/root -maproot=root:wheel    client.microsoft.org
/export/client/swap -maproot=root:wheel    client.microsoft.org
/export/client/usr  -maproot=nobody:nobody client.microsoft.org
/export/client/home -maproot=nobody:nobody client.microsoft.org

The contents of my /export/client/ directory..
drwxr-xr-x   2 root  wheel       512 Sep  1 04:02 home
drwxr-xr-x  16 root  wheel       512 Sep  1 04:44 root
-rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel  16777216 Sep  1 04:44 swap
drwxr-xr-x  13 root  wheel       512 Sep  1 04:56 usr

And here's what can be found in /export/client/root
http://members.rogers.com/agill8/netbsd/ls.txt

BTW.. the tftp/dhcpd/nfs server is a NetBSD box running 1.6 RC1.