Subject: Re: Braindamage in arm/disksubr.c
To: None <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
List: port-arm
Date: 08/29/2002 00:59:10
In article <20020828083806.D2045@dr-evil.shagadelic.org>
thorpej@wasabisystems.com wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 12:16:09AM +0900, Izumi Tsutsui wrote:
>
>  > Maybe this is because arm/disksubr.c has MBR support
>  > but unlike i386 RAW_PART is 2 (not 3) and it does not
>  > have 'NetBSD parition' in its disklabels.
>  >
>  > So, if a disk has MBR and NetBSD partition in it is not located
>  > at the top, bounds_check_with_label() would fail.
>
> As far as I can tell, MBRs and NetBSD disklabels cannot coexist on the
> same disk with the ARM disksubr, and bounds_check_with_label() isn't
> checking for the MBR location anyway.

I think it works if patition XX?a is the top of the NetBSD partition,
but it fails if XX?a is in other place or there is no XX?a.

BTW, why does ARM disksubr has MBR supports? (in disksubr_mbr.c)
For shark or cats? To use disks written on i386?
Anyway, bounds_check_with_label() on i386 does not check MBR either.
It just use 'XX?c', and I guess it's the reason RAW_PART on i386 is 'd'.
---
Izumi Tsutsui
tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp