Subject: Re: ARM ELF ABI: consensus?
To: None <port-arm@netbsd.org>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-arm
Date: 04/08/2002 14:15:06
On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 12:39:25PM -0800, Jason R Thorpe wrote:

 > On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 07:39:07PM +0000, Ben Harris wrote:
 >
 >  > * This ABI is indicated in ELF files by EI_OSABI == ELFOSABI_NETBSD, and
 >  >   EI_ABIVERSION == 0.
 >
 > I have made the necessary toolchain changes for this.
 >
 > ...now I guess we just want for a thumbs-up from Richard before throwing
 > the switch on the ARM ports which are still a.out, and also before committing
 > these toolchain changes to the master FSF sources.

Ok.  An update on this.

I submitted the necessary changes back to the FSF binutils folks, and
got *significant* push-back.  They seem to strongly disagree with using
the EI_OSABI field for this.

So, what should we do?  Should we back out these changes in our source
tree?  If so, we should decide quick before the 1.6 branch is actually
created.