Subject: Re: ARM ELF ABI: consensus?
To: None <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: John Clark <jclark@teamasa.com>
List: port-arm
Date: 04/01/2002 13:27:44
Jason R Thorpe wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 07:39:07PM +0000, Ben Harris wrote:
>
>  > * This ABI is indicated in ELF files by EI_OSABI == ELFOSABI_NETBSD, and
>  >   EI_ABIVERSION == 0.
>
> I have made the necessary toolchain changes for this.
>
> ...now I guess we just want for a thumbs-up from Richard before throwing
> the switch on the ARM ports which are still a.out, and also before committing
> these toolchain changes to the master FSF sources.

Just a 'note that', in the linux arm port emailist there has been an off and on
discussion about lower performance when using ELF format, vs a.out. Has
anyone run some benchmarks on ELF vs a.out under NetBSD?

I'll get a pointer to the performance numbers, and that will indicate what
sort of activity seemed to cause a performance hit.