Subject: VAX ELF toolchain is now self-hosting
To: None <port-arm@netbsd.org, tech-toolchain@netbsd.org>
From: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
List: port-arm
Date: 02/25/2002 11:02:57
This weekend I successfully used a VAX ELF system to do
a VAX ELF netbsd build.  So VAX ELF has achieved the state
and being able to build itself.

There are still issues to be dealt before turning the switch:

    1) add ELF flags for the indicate whether either GFLOAT
       or DFLOAT, and whether code is NONPIC.
    2) remove some unneeded RELOCs that are leftover from the
       m68k code I started from.
    3) Reworking setjmp/longjmp to be more normal and not
       unwind the stack restoring registers.
    4) Make sure DWARF/DWARF2 works (including exception
       unwinding code).
    5) Add a.out->ELF transition code in sysinst.
    6) figure out why awk works @ -O but not -O2