Subject: Re: pmap & ISADMA
To: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
From: Reinoud Zandijk <reinoud@netbsd.org>
List: port-arm
Date: 02/21/2002 16:51:44
Hiya Ben,

On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 03:11:55PM +0000, Ben Harris wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Reinoud Zandijk wrote:
>
> > I agree Ben that handling a list might be a bit overkill and that a
> > repeated function call might make more sense but how would you like to
> > honour the freelist's ? i.e. a DMA-able, a non DMA-able, an ISA-memory
> > mapped space etc.  ? thats what started this discussion in the first place.
> > Isn't it wise to do that freelist management stuff inside the pmap code ?
>
> Erm, why does the pmap need to handle this?  UVM has support for multiple
> freelists (see the last argument to uvm_page_physload()), and when MI code
> asks for a free page, it's UVM that decides which one to hand over.  If
> you need a page from a particular freelist, uvm_pagealloc_strat() will
> give you one.

Oh! I just looked in the prototypes in /usr/include/uvm and there is the
last argument `int' yes... no docs though ...

For my answer i consulted the uvm(9) manpage but in that manpage the
ubm_page_physload doesn't have that last argument !!! looks like a
documentation bug :-/

So this last argument `int' is the freelist number ?

Cheers,
Reinoud