Subject: Re: [reinoud@netbsd.org: CVS commit: gnusrc/gnu/usr.bin/gcc/arch/arm]
To: Reinoud Zandijk <reinoud@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@arm.com>
List: port-arm
Date: 01/30/2002 18:10:33
> Hello guys,
>
> too late i found out that my patch hereunder is gonna dissapear as soon as
> someone regenerates the config files again ... could someone with more
> toolchain experience fix this in the right way :)
>
> The fix however works fine as far as i can see for the behavoir of PR 15303
> is not present anymore.

Something is very wrong with the build system if that change alters the
behaviour of an Alpha->ARM cross compiler.  Why isn't it using the
standard configure tests to set the auto-host file up?

auto-host.h, as its name implies, is supposed to describe the properties
of the *host* that the compiler is running on.  It can't be right on an
alpha to define off_t as a 32-bit type there...

Without a simplified test case there isn't much I can look into.  Sadly my
only alpha gave up the ghost a few months back when a lightning storm
knocked out its power-supply (it was ancient anyway).  So I'm not sure if
I can do much even with a test case.

R.