Subject: Re: ARM ELF TODO list
To: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@arm.com>
List: port-arm
Date: 01/29/2002 13:37:48
> On Mon, 28 Jan 2002, Nick Hudson wrote:
>
> > On Tuesday 01 January 2002 1:42 pm, Ben Harris wrote:
> > > Needed before any port changes to ELF:
> > > * make system build with -fshort-enums. [bjh21]
> > > * (gcc) check precise enum ABI, and implement it. [rearnsha]
> >
> > Any progress on this issue?
>
> Basically, I've got a set of patches that make the system build, and
> Richard has found out the current draft ABI.  The only question is whether
> we implement it or not (see the recent "enums on ARM" thread), and there
> are arguments both ways there.  rearnsha thinks we should follow ARM, tv
> and I think we should follow other NetBSD ports and everyone else was more
> interested in discussing the existence or otherwise of ILP64 Alphas.

Yep, I've discussed the situation with colleagues here at ARM.  The ARM
ABI will not be changing in this respect: it will be using packed enums.

So the question now is whether NetBSD will be using the ARM ABI or
something else.  What the something else is really doesn't matter, because
as soon as one part has been abandoned you might as well consider
everything open...

Of course, as soon as you abandon the common ABI you loose the ability to
use other compilers, or pre-compiled libraries from other sources external
to the project.

> Given the current impasse, I think we need someone in authority to make a
> decision one way or the other.  Isn't this what <core@netbsd.org> are for?

Indeed.

R.