Subject: Re: ARM ELF TODO list
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
List: port-arm
Date: 01/04/2002 18:57:23
On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, Todd Vierling wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Jan 2002, Ben Harris wrote:
>
> : * back-compat a.out ld.so binary
>
> Add to this a kernel COMPAT_AOUTARM option, given that the ABI has changed.
> (If struct alignment hasn't changed, this may not be an issue.  It was an
> issue on m68k....)

Struct alignment hasn't changed (ARM changed theirs to match ours, as far
as we can tell).  I think the only possibly-relevant change is that enums
might end up different sizes, but I suspect there are no enums passed
across the user/kernel boundary anyway.

> : * sysinst support for transition
>
> See my post of 31/Dec.  If you follow the standard NetBSD layout for
> separate $MACHINEs, simply create the right sysinst and MAKEDEV for the
> right $MACHINE and everything works -- no multiple kernels, no multiple boot
> media.

So sysinst will already notice a.out libraries and shift them to
/emul/aout when upgrading, or whatever the right thing is?