Subject: Shared library support for ARM ELF
To: None <>
From: Matt Thomas <>
List: port-arm
Date: 07/15/2001 23:33:38
This weekend, in a fit of insanity, I've implemented and
committed most of the pieces for ELF shared library support
on ARM.  I have no idea whether it works on arm26 but I'd
to see if someone (Ben?) can confirm that.

contains a small sampling of ARM programs (sh, ps, md5)
plus and ld.elf_so.  Just untar it and chroot into
it is the easiest way to verify it (which is why I included

Note that to use it you will need to rebuild your kernel with
EXEC_ELF32.  Also, a few new sysctl's were added to better
support the comming shared arm (arm32+arm26) environment so
I'd appreciate it if you can try the ps and see if it does the
right thing for you (since I had to modify libkvm a bit).

I haven't verified that c++ does the right thing yet since the
in-pool libgcc doesn't work since 2.95.3 c++ objects to a few
things in it.  Making a totally ELF snapshot is not yet possible
due to lack of toolchain integration.  But almost everything else
builds cleanly.
Matt Thomas               Internet:
3am Software Foundry      WWW URL: