Subject: Re: building libkvm
To: Chris Gilbert <chris@paradox.demon.co.uk>
From: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@arm.com>
List: port-arm
Date: 07/12/2001 11:11:43
> On Thursday 12 July 2001 10:03 am, David Brownlee wrote:
> > On Thu, 12 Jul 2001, Chris Gilbert wrote:
> > > Looking at libkvm I'm not sure that it can be shared across arm26 and
> > > arm32, it's very much tied into the kernel.
> > >
> > > Anyone got any suggestions on how to tackle this one?  currently I'm
> > > trying to get a complete make build to work, I've fixed up libkvm to
> > > build, but it's got hardcoded includes to arm/arm32 and arm/cats.
> >
> > 	Maybe go the same route as the m68k ports - which have common,
> > 	sun3 and sun3x kvm files, none of which include any machine/*.h
> > 	files...
>
> I believe that the 3 defines that kvm is after are, so we either end up with
> them hardcoded into the file or we use includes, and I'd rather use includes
> incase we ever rearrange the vm layout (we don't really need 3GB of user VM
> space!):
> USRSTACK, VM_MIN_ADDRESS and VM_MAXUSER_ADDRESS

These shouldn't be hard-coded into user-land programs.  Instead we should
have a mechanism for getting the numbers from the kernel.  Then machines
can set these as appropriate and user-land binaries will continue to work
correctly.  This information could easily be made available via the
sysctl(3) interface.

R.