Subject: Re: Netwinder questions
To: Istvan Gyenes <>
From: Matt Thomas <>
List: port-arm
Date: 07/10/2001 23:42:17
At 10:49 PM 7/10/2001 +0100, Chris Gilbert wrote:
>On Wednesday 11 July 2001 12:37 am, Istvan Gyenes wrote:
> > Hello,
> > As I was browsing the mailing-list archives I found that the netwinder was
> > successfully booted. I've got some questions about it:
> >
> > Where can I find a precompiled kernel with serial console support to
> > play with?
>I'm not sure that serial console support is available yet, if you're happy
>with a vga console then I'm sure someone could (I certainly can) compile a
>current kernel up for you to try :)

Only the serial is supported.  I'm still [trying to find time to start] working
on VGA support.

> > When will a snapshot available for the netwinder?
>Technically any existing arm32 snapshot (including the 1.5.x ones) should
>work, the kernel is the only machine specific part, 99% of the rest is shared.

True.  All you really need is a kernel.  And a diskless area for netbooting.
Even though I can read/write the disk, I haven't tried to properly boot off
disk since the port is still not even half-baked.

Even so, try to netboot the following kernel:
Matt Thomas               Internet:
3am Software Foundry      WWW URL: