Subject: breaking builds
To: None <port-arm@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Gilbert <chris@paradox.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm
Date: 06/12/2001 00:59:21
Hi,

My apologies to people, seems I managed to break the netwinder build and the
cats build.  That's what I get for not clearing out my kernel build dirs, and
doing things late at night (I say looking at the clock and going eeek)

Anyway I'm now currently working on fixing the cats build (others have
already fixed the netwinder build)  I plan to checking in the fixes, and sync
it up with the Makefile.arm file that Matt has just added tommorrow night.

This did raise one issue of should we be using #ifdef lowercase arch name or
including opt_archname, and using uppercase arch name,
IE:
#ifdef cats
or
#include "opt_cats.h"
#ifdef CATS

I prefer the first as it avoids having to have lots of defopts (but then
richard has suggested hiding them in one .h file.)  Any preferences, I say
noting that I already tweaked locore.S to get cats building, but I'm happy to
revert it back.

Anyway I'm currently building the GENERIC cats kernel as we speak in a clean
dir.  (required the addition of a cats specific autoconf.c and conf.c).

I need to do some work to reenable the cats kernels to have in-kernel md
images.  I've taken a temporary shortcut to avoid sorting out needing fdc.h
with md_root of just disabling md on the GENERIC kernel.  I may just switch
cats over to the generic sys/dev/md_root.c.  On cats we don't appear to
actually have a working fdc driver (yet :) so there's no gain from managing
to boot from floppy anyway.  In fact I'd expect us to be more likely to
produce a bootable CDROM for a cats box.  Speaking to simtec they've said
that we should be able use a cdrom to boot from, but I need to chase them for
the technical details.  (although the cdrom I put in my system doesn't show
up as bootable even with firmware 0.6, but then it's always seemed not quite
ATAPI standard)

Cheers,
Chris