Subject: Re: Advice on adding support for a new Platform
To: Thomas J. Merritt <tjm@codegen.com>
From: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@arm.com>
List: port-arm
Date: 06/07/2001 10:00:25
> |It's basically a 710T with the fast context switch extension, so John
> |Fremlin's 7TDMI code should provide all the necessary CPU support.
>
> The 720T extends the ARM7TDMI core with an MMU and a few other goodies.

More precisely the 720T was a 710T with the ability to run WinCE, so it
has the fast context switch extension and high-vector support.

> I have gcc cross compilers for ARM built and running on FreeBSD.  One
> set is based upon 2.8.1 with COFF and the other is GCC 2.95.2 with ELF.
> Will either of these be usable?

Unlikely, since those compilers don't have the defaults set correctly for
building NetBSD.

> If not, what should I build?

Build the 2.95.3 code that is shipped in the NetBSD-current sources, with
the arm-netbsdelf configuration; at this time this is the only compiler
supported for building ELF on netbsd/arm.

> What cross tools besides gcc will I need to build into order to be
> able to compile a kernel?

Compiler, assembler, linker, other binutils (eg ar, ranlib etc)

R.